Contact Joeyblueskies.com at

lamborghiniliving@gmail.com

asp hit counter


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Detroit Lions 2010 Breakdown - Quarterbacks


Taking a look at the Lions' QB situation this year seems simple enough. And it relatively is. Matt Stafford is undoubtedly the man and if he stays healthy the entire year we'll get a glimpse of what the future has in store for Lions' fans. Here is the QB breakdown for the 2010-2011 season.

Matt Stafford

So far in camp, people are raving about Stafford's improved accuracy and that is a good thing. I'm still very skeptical because throwing into tires with no pass rush is a lot different than threading a needle on the run after Raiola blew his assignment and let his man off the line untouched. The arm strength is absolutely there and it's looking like he has more weapons than ever before. Three real concerns I have about Stafford this year.

1. Can Stafford connect down field with Calvin like he should? - Calvin is being called "The Lebron James" of the NFL cause he is more physically gifted than any corner and should be able to come down with any ball that is thrown up. If this team is gonna go anywhere, Stafford and Calvin need to connect on jump balls in the end zone as well as hit the long strike whenever the running game is going well. It doesn't make any sense why a Lions' QB hasn't made it happen thus far.

2. How well will Stafford use his tight ends? - Being a product of the U.P. I was forced to watch the Packers every week in addition to my Lions. The one thing that was a constant to all those great Packer teams was the importance of the tight end. Favre made household names out of his tight ends and if Mark Chumura didn't bang some 17 year old in his hot tub, he might have gone down as the best tight end of all time. First down, third down, any time he needed a few yards, Favre would find that tight end for a few quick yards across the middle and put them in a manageable situation. Stafford has tight ends up the ass this year after bringing in Scheffler in the off season and opposite Pettigrew they should be capable of making a serious impact. If they don't get them the ball 12 plus times a game we need to find a new offensive coordinator. I'm really passionate about this because I still can't believe we passed on Michael Oher, our franchise left tackle, at #20 two years ago and took Brandon Pettigrew. I beg the Lions to make me eat my words cause down near the goal line these two should be lethal.

3. Can we run a screen pass for f'n sakes? - I don't think I've seen the Lions run a successful screen pass in the last 9 plus years. I'm not exaggerating with that estimate either. Any good team can do it but for some reason we've never been able to put it together. I mean we're really good at letting people through the line, so I don't understand how we can't figure this out. If I was Schwartz, I'd be practicing this 100-200 times a day and make it my bread and butter. We haven't been able to block anybody for years so we should at least take advantage of it and pop them for 50 yards on a Jahvid Best screen. Dude was born to run the screen.

Shaun Hill



I liked this pick up for one reason and one reason only. Drew Stanton is not capable of running this offense. Shaun will win the backup spot and do a serviceable job if he has to come in. But make no mistake about it, if he needs to come in for any extended period of time we're not gonna win more than a few games.

Drew Stanton


Where's your clipboard dude? Never mind just keep laying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment